Richards Bradley built this historic home in 1858 for his new bride, Sarah Bradley. Their farms and gardens stretched to the West River, to the area that is now the Brattleboro Retreat and to the Rice Farm in Dummerston. The Bradley estate was sold in 1940 to Fred Harris, of Harris Hill Ski Jump, who lived in the light blue house on North Street. In 1946, he sold it to the Hopkins family, who then converted the house into apartments to provide additional living accommodations during the post-World War II housing shortage.
In the 1960’s, the home was acquired by the Vermont State Baptist Convention, which established a retirement home and eventually renamed it to “Hilltop House”. Forty years later in 2003, Hilltop House was incorporated as a private non-denominational non-profit, which continues to operate today.
In July 2013, to honor the original owners of this beautiful home, Hilltop House was renamed “The Bradley House”. The Bradley House honors the Bradley’s and their many contributions to our community and recognizes the historic value of this building.
The Bradley House, painted to look like a brownstone, 1920’s